Cart is empty
Velocite Tenax 30mm alloy road bike training wheels
Included: Quick release skewers, rim tapes
- Advanced proprietary 6 series alloy welded rims for ultimate strength and durability, weigh just 450g each
- CNC rim sidewalls with wear indicator, removable decals
- Self locking Alpina ABS nipples to prevent spontaneous spoke unwinding
- Low ductility Pillar PSR 14 plain gauge stainless steel spokes, 20 front "elbows out" radial and 24 rear 2-cross/crow's foot lacing
- Velocite Tenax hubs with environmental sealing and steel hub cassette body to ensure long life
- Replaceable, sealed cartridge bearings
- Handmade, stress relieved, individually QC certified
- 9/10 speed Shimano/SRAM only, not compatible with Campagnolo system
Construction: Advanced alloy welded rims, stainless steel spokes, alloy self locking nipples, sealed hubs with steel hub cassette body
The Velocite Tenax alloy wheels are a result of extensive development and live testing program whose objective was to deliver a wheelset that would satisfy the training requirements of our racing team and sponsored riders. The main performance parameters were:
- High lateral stiffness
- Moderate weight
- High durability and strength
We feel that we met all the objectives, and delivered a wheelset that is not only suitable for training, but also for aggressive short course racing due to minimal rim weight (450g) and alloy nipples that minimise the rotational inertia. The special 2-cross/crow's foot lacing on the rear wheel allows instant power transfer without wind-up, or wheel instability.
High lateral stiffness. The lateral stiffness of the wheels is derived through three main factors: rim stiffness, hub stiffness, spoke bracing angle. The 30mm Tenax rims are torsionally very stiff due to their deep profile, and just like with road bike frames, torsional stiffness is the most important parameter when it comes to road bike rims too. The Tenax hubs are not built to be ultra light. While their axles are the standard 10mm in diameter both front and rear, the hub bodies are oversize and have relatively low and overbuilt flanges. This means that the Tenax hubs will not flex under virtually any load experienced during normal road bike riding and will also protect the bearings against excessive off-axis loads. Additionally the flanges on both the front and rear wheels are very widely spaced, maximising the spoke bracing angles without creating an unstable rear wheel.
Moderate weight. Since there is no such thing as an ultra light training wheel, we aimed to deliver a wheelset at the lowest weight that is achievable given the performance parameters. Since the increased weight is concentrated at the centre of the wheels, acceleration is very rapid and handling is unaffected.
High durability and strength. To deliver optimal strength and durability we made several important design choices:
- proprietary alloy used is 20% stronger than the common 6061 alloy
- the rims are welded instead of pinned, or sleeve joined which is more common
- spokes are cold forged Pillar PSR 14 with 350 kgf ultimate tensile strength
- hubs use a steel hub cassette body which is resistant to damage caused by cassettes
- the hubs are environmentally sealed to remain free of contamination even in wet weather.
NOTE: Due to the large drive side spoke offset which makes Tenax wheels so laterally stiff, it is important to adjust your derailleur limit correctly so that it does not touch the spokes when the chain is on the largest cog.